Foo Fighters: Friend of a Friend Meaning
No tags, suggest one.
Friend of a Friend Lyrics
With a lock to keep him in
It's just a quiet room
And he's there
He plays an old guitar
With a coin found by the phone
It was his friends guitar
That he played
He's never been in love
But he knows just what love...
anonymous Dec 29th, 2010 12:45am report
"Friend of a Friend" is a story of a person, that most of us know. It's one of our friends, someone without any talents or characteristics. He's alone, ,drinking or taking drugs to deal with loneliness. The title of this song means a lot. No one really know him, he's just a friend of a friend, buddy that we like, but we're not thinking about.
anonymous Apr 8th, 2012 4:05pm report
Let's look at some things here:
"Friend of a Friend"
- Dave's band had just broken up and he was looking for work. He called his friend from a band called "The Melvins", who mentioned that Kurt and Krist were looking for a new drummer and, thereby making Kurt a 'friend of a friend'
"He plays an old guitar"
- Kurt Cobain was the guitarist for Nirvana.
"He says nevermind"
- Nevermind was Nirvana's biggest album, and Dave joined Nirvana as drummer on the cusp of the release of Nevermind.
"He thinks he drinks too much"
- Kurt was a notorious alcoholic, amongst other things.
"Cause when he tells his two best friends"
- The two other members of Nirvana, Dave and Krist.
And finally, Dave originally released this song on a rare demo tape called Pocketwatch, under the pseudonym Late!, during his time with Nirvana. It was then recorded during their BBC Sessions in 1997 and it was finally released on an album that fans could easily get their hands on in 2005, In Your Honor.
So I think it's fairly obvious that this song is about Kurt Cobain, or at the very least, his time with Nirvana.
This song has a simple meaning. When Dave Grohl first joined Nirvana, he barely had any possessions. He moved in with Kurt. This song is basically his experiences with the band early on and Kurt Cobain. He play and old guitar with a coin he kept by the phone. The liked to seclude himself when he wrote his songs. It's almost his first impressions of Kurt and Nirvana.
More Foo Fighters song meanings »
Submit Your Interpretation
Related Blog Posts
|Spotlight On Tom Petty's "American Girl"|
|Welcome to My Life||anonymous|
|Just To Get High||anonymous|
|Hail to the King||anonymous|
|Cross My Heart||anonymous|